Monday, July 07, 2008

My Reno Rants


Happy are the meek, they shall inherit the earth.
In the mean time, the broke, 30 year-in-debt, shall get at least 97sqm.

Since the day Cassilda and I received the keys to our flat in Bedok Central, we have been busy putting together a picture of what we want our future home looks and feels like.
True to our prayer in the earlier post that we want a house where we could offer hospitality to people, Cassilda and I have set out to plan it this way.

Making spaces for conversations is what I have in mind as I scour the earth and numerous libraries for interior design ideas. The most important spaces for this will be the kitchen, the dining area, the living room and the study.


The Living Room

Definitely white tiles. Dark wood beams and neutral colored sofas. No bigger than a 32 inch TV, if there is some way to conceal it I would like to. Sofas need to be comforty, those you can sleep on undisturbed through the night if for some reason, martial situations calls for me too. 2 accent chairs. If possible I would like sitting spaces for at least 8-10 people - a good cell size.

Having warm lighting complimented by a nice arched lamp will be
nice. A small dark oak grain rectangle block of varnished wood for a side table between my two accent chairs will be perfect.



Seamless connections: Dining table and Kitchen

Cass and I were having a conversation about how most conversations tend to happen at the dining table. We were trying to recount the times where we would gather at people's living room to talk - seldom.
We think its for the following reasons:

1. Some living room seem to have a 'family-members only' feel about them


2. the TV is usually on. nothing kills conversations faster than TV.


3. Sitting on a chair with a table in front of us seem to be the most natural position for many people. We spend most of our lives in this position - class rooms, work cubicles, eating. I think psychologically, we feel secure with a table in front of us and people can only see the upper half of our body. Being able to hide behind the table I think brings us some extent of
comfort. Thus, the living room can be a very disarming and exposed place.


So for the dinning and kitchen area, I envision a lot of wood being used. Dark wood dining table backdropped with a colored wall (left). I would like the Dinning area and kitchen to be seamless.

I remember when I was at Hills, we have many meaning conversations during cooking. Usually someone will be cooking and someone else will be hanging out on the counter area or at the dinning table. I love conversations during cooking! I want my home to be able to do that! Not the poor person stuck in the kitchen all alone and only comes out when the food is done. SO
BORING!!

So I was thinking of knocking down the small wall that divides the dining area and the kitchen. The cabinets will continue on as if the wall is still there so that it transforms into a counter/bar area. Someone can sit on the the other side and talk as someone else is cooking. yay!

Another way to create the connection is the flooring. I was thinking of dividing the flooring of the Living Room and the Dining area. Technically they share the same floor space. But I
am considering having a interesting mix of flooring - White tile living room and dark wood laminate for dinning area.

The kitchen will be very dark uneven feel tiles.
Dark grainy wood for cabinets, not sure at this point dark or light counter top. A chrome fridge, three flame hob. If possible, I would like one induction point. Small appliances for small kitchen. Maybe a colour for one wall of the kitchen.

I always wanted a red kitchen....




Study

Books are a huge part of Cass and mine life. They will play a prominent role in our home.
Surely. The ministry of the Word is also something I know God has called us to so a study is the kitchen of our messages.

We hope to build a white floor to ceiling open bookcase with closed storage at the bottom. A workstation, MAC computer, of course and a comfortable two sitter sofa. Wood flooring.





No comments: