Monday, December 26, 2005

OVERSEAS EDUCATION Vol. 6




Its amazing how time flies. It seems like yesterday when we first came to Aussieland. Cass and I will be returning in 6 weeks time! We will be back on the 27th of August. ETA 9:45pm. This will probably be the second last Overseas Education. I know I know….sob*…sob*… I feel your pain.

Cass and I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all who have prayed for us throughout this year, we have been thoroughly blessed. You guys are Awesome! A special THANK YOU too to all who have contributed financially (both at the start and recently) to us. Cass and I really appreciate it. We are very touched and we feel very loved by all of you that we can't wait to come back and give everyone a big hug!!!!

Thank you so much!



Recently, I realized…


1. that when you are living in the Hills in the middle of winter and practically nowhere, and your TV breaks down, it is not a good thing.

`your old men shall dream dreams and young men will see visions, not televisions'







2. that Men share information for fact gathering and Women share information to get closer to one another.





3. that often instead of concluding it is best to be wherever God wants us to be, we have decided that wherever is best for us to be is where God wants us.

(editor's note: you might want to read that again)

I have realized that actually, God's will for us is less about our comfort than it is about our contribution. God never choose for us safety at the cost of significance. God created me so that my life would count, not so that I can count the days of my life.





4. That Christianity is about what you give your life for rather than about what you get.





5) that Blaise Pascal is right when he said, "God made man in His own image and man returned the compliment.".

Sometimes I think we project onto God our worst attitudes and feelings about ourselves. If we feel hatred for ourselves, it only makes sense that God hates us. Right? I mean, who can blame God?

Seriously. Just look at me – LOOK AT ME! I am a mess.

I believe that God is almighty and can do anything; and that he is all-wise and may do everything; but that He is all-love and WILL do everything – that's where I draw back. As I see it, this ignorance is the greatest of all hindrances to God's lovers.

Where do I think I am going when I draw back from God?






6. That the world of the generous gets larger and larger while the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller. (Prov 11:24)







7. that humility is not thinking less of yourself, its just thinking of yourself less.





8. that how I feel comes from how I think. I used to think it's the other way round.

But the thing is - I can learn to control my emotions by learning to control my thoughts. The fact is, I don't have to think every thought that pops into my mind. I can choose to say to myself, `hey, stop thinking this thought. It's not going to help me. I'm not going there.' Then stop and choose to think positively instead. I realized I DO have the power to do that.

Change how I think > change how I feel > change what I am > change what I do > change my impact on others

How many relationships I would have saved, nights I could have slept and things I would have accomplished if I knew this earlier?




9. that everything in our life is connected. How well I run and finish this season of my life will decide how strong a start I have running into the next season of my life. If you are going through a tough season in your life now, stay faithful and when harvest time comes, you know you are ready for anything.





10. That the fact of the matter is this, - "We reap what we sow."

The bible says that I should not be foolish enough to think that I will reap what I have not sown, God will not be mocked! (Gal 6:7)This verse is usually used in relation to money, but I think it goes the same for relationships as well. Good friendships, they don't happen like that – We need to sow into them. Invest interest and love or having fun times.

If you look around you and find that you don't seem to have deep relationships, it just could be you are reaping what you have sown or more accurately, what you haven't.




11. that all things work out in the end, if things are not working out, it isn't the end yet.




12. that is so weird to see your AngMor friend who just came back from a holiday in Singapore (wait, that in itself is weird enough) and buy souvenirs for everybody. I use to wonder who would buy those small stupid overpriced Chinese embroidery lipstick boxes from Bugis market.

Orrrh…. Now I know…




13. That the brain is like a car engine, it takes warming up, especially when it comes to doing assignments and homework. (arugh!) I found that when I open up my Word Document and straight away try to write- I get a brain-stall. So now I try to do things like write two or three points for OVERSEAS EDUCATION just to get my brain juices flowing which will lubricate my cranium pistons and bring it to second gear and away we go!

So try it- find some means to stimulate your brain intellectually or creatively before you start doing your assignments. As my PE teacher always say, "you all better do warm up before doing anything".

Now, That is good advice for life.

Okay, I better go do my assignments now….


OVERSEAS EDUCATION, COPYRIGHT 2005, Leonard Koh & Cassilda Lim
All parts of this document can be quoted, photcopied, digital cameraed, printed in color or black and white or circulated. All ideas expressed here are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of your local cab driver.

No comments: