Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Reno Rants (4)


Our Home is coming together!



In the midst of a flurry of activities, avalanche of choices and impending decisions tearing at our insanity and the every present gravity of the race towards the Big day, the home is taking shape and form.


Deck the Halls
Rough cement floors are dressed up in (almost) white tiles, slate and laminates. The ceiling is a stage set for various lights to make their brilliant performance by next week. The kitchen foundations are laid, the counter is elected and I can almost smell the pasta cooking. (seafood marinara)

The air-conditioning is being installed even as I am writing this and the painting works will start tomorrow. I did not choose any crazed colours in case anyone is expecting us to. Keeping it simple.

Basically the renovations part of the house is like the backdrop of a stage. It should be a background that sets the context for the drama, not the drama itself. I don't like renovations that scream - "I just had a renovation". It should be functional, consistent and subtle in bringing out the best of the furniture and the stories of life unfolding within its embrace. Too loud and it becomes an end to itself and not a means to an end.


The Shape of Things to come
Next will be Carpentry. Jesus' own forte. The cabinets, the shelfs, the consoles and the
cupboards. I'm pretty excited and at the same time nervous about it. Unlike going to a shop where I know exactly what I'm buying - Carpentry works in renos, you don't until its done. what looks good on paper may not look too fantastic when its standing before you. Or, it could look even better than you imagined it to be. Going to leave it in the hands of the Carpenter of Nazareth to cause all things to work out for good. Especially good ABS trimmings.


Furnishings is a 4-letter Word
IKEA is the name of the game. Every new home owner's savior. The rock on which more expensive and lasting furniture will replace in the near future. The sweet smelling air of
swedish affordability and cheap practical brilliance line the walls of the mammoth blue and yellow building, holding out promises to people who hope they don't have to that rich to be clever.

"Buy from Ikea lor" is the mantra. ("Buy from EKia" if you are born before 1975) But seriously, if you take time to study the catalog, which I know sounds kinda strange to you non-house owners, you can pretty much pull off a decent looking house you'll be proud to bring your mother home to.

Furniture, my friend, in the real world, is expensive. I was brought up on a furnishing diet of IKEA in my current home and naively thought that
all furniture companies cost like that. They don't. And not all sell great hot dogs and meat balls either. That in itself is pretty sad. What next? That Santa Claus is not real? Sheesh. So sad. Which is how I feel when I look at the price tag on most furniture shops I...erm...fancy.

While you don't have to be rich to be clever, it certain would help a bit if you actually are.

Frankly, I blame my expectations on Interior books with their slick Photoshopped interiors and designer furnitures conveniently placed in the background. I should have seen through it! Come on! there is no way anyone can affort SIX pieces of Philip Starck Ghost Chairs a
nd even if they do, why on earth do they leave it in the grimmey kitchen!


Planting Seats
But I do need to admit something at this point. I've found a new hobby - chairs. I love chairs. I don't know why but these little legged things you put your butt on has captured my heart. After days of pouring over furniture books and websites, I now know the history of at least 15 chairs and can call them by name. Chairs are to the furnishing world what Tee shirts are to the fashion realm. They are the main stay of every home and common as dust. Yet, they can be art pieces - just sittable.

Some of the chairs we take for granted, stack, kick when we are angry or thrown when someone insults our mother (I've seen it.), took years to develop. I know I know. Whats so hard putting 4 legs on something. Well, its the same why Giodano can sell black tees for $10 and Simon Cowl can buy his for $270. (yes, all three hundred of them) Its all in the details. The material. The angles. The finish. the ergonomics.

Okay, I think I better stop here before I sound mildly obsessive, won't want you to think that I really am, although I really am. Ask Cassilda. She will be more than happy to demonstrate some of the most amazing eye-rolling you'll ever see in this part of the world. she has gotten a lot of practice lately.

K. So I'll end here. For you guys reading this and could potentially be invited to our house warming held somewhere between this century and next, better start sourcing for gifts. Appliances, chairs and pillows are welcomed. Sofas, spare beds, lamps are advised. Fridges, 42" LCD Flatscreens, Herman Miller furniture and MacG5s come highly recommended.


Just let us know in advance so we know what to do with all the extra LCD Tvs.

8)

Leo



Standing in my freshly painted Study
with my photoshopped Eames Chair.
Exactly the way our ancestors did it in interior magazines
.




No comments: