Monday, October 22, 2007

My Humble Breakfast
















Nasi Lemak. One of the humblest of Asian Food and available on almost every street corner and makan place. Common, unassuming but utterly indispensable to the asian gastronomy.

Usually cost no more than a $1.50 per packet ,the Nasi Lemak is the enduring breakfast (& supper?) chow of the ages and the unofficial national food of Malaysia. Fragrant rice, fried egg, fish and delicious Sambal ikan billis enjoyed on a background of natural green, what's not to like?

The name literally means 'rice in fat' and is derived from the cooking process whereby rice is soaked in rich coconut cream and then the mixture steamed.

Of course, the Sambal ikan billis has to be right. A delightful bland of saltiness and sweet where the tamarind and tomatoes are a right balance layed with sliced onions. I personally tend to favor sambal that has a brighter red to it. Nothing perks me up more than finding the perfect Nasi Lemak sambal. It just makes something so humble taste so royal.

The best I've eaten so far is sold from a small news stand inside Tanjong Pagar MRT. The sambal is a bright orangy red laced with ikan billis that is so not overcooked, it's almost still white. The fried egg is only about half the size of your ezylink card and
each packet of Nasi Lemak only cost $1. But mine...what a treat.

Small, yet satisfying.

Thinking about the humble nasi lemak reminds me that it doesn't take a lot to be happy. It's often not the man who has a lot that is happy, but the person who makes the most out what little he has. Am I thankful for what I've been given and the grace I am shown by God to even enjoy it? Or am I looking for more, more, more, thinking that when I have more I will be satisfied?

I want to be more grateful and savor every moment of life, knowing that every second I live, I live on borrowed time from God and should make the most out of everything with gladness. And a heart of worship.

Even if that thing at the moment is all wrapped up in banana leaves.


"Go, eat your food with gladness...for it is now that God favors what you do." -Ecc 9:7


Tucking thankfully,
Leo


No comments: