Thursday, November 23, 2006

Why I am in Youth Ministry


If there is one statement that is often used about youths in church that I really dislike is this: "Youths are the future of the church". I know. I know. Those who say it probably mean well and its said to encourage (and sometime scare) us.

Maybe its just me. But it really erks me when I hear it. Because I find that it reveals a mindset that discounts the important and crucial contribution of the youths to the church TODAY - as they are as young people! Youth is not a disease that we one day outgrow and then we really and finally become "the Church."


I believe that our Youths are not just the future of the church, they are part of the Church today. I am driven to help the Church fill the present void with the only people that can fill it - young people. Only then can we present to Jesus 'a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless' to fulfill her Mission in this world. We need a Church that welcomes young people and challenge them to play their part.



In this entry, I would like to share my story of how I started to want to serve in youth ministry and why I have a passion for it.


My calling to youth ministry came in 1995 at the FIRE CONFERENCE organised by the New Evangelisation Team (NETS), FLAME Ministries and Youth Praise Ministry (YPM). I had been serving 8 years as an Altarserver and 2 years in the Charismatic Renewal. FIRE Conference was purposed to encourage greater competence in Youth Ministry to meet the needs of young people in a changing world. It was there I realised both the need for and the lack of effective youth ministries. My heart burnt as I listened through those two days.

I remember walking home from the Conference when I sensed the Holy Spirit speak in my heart, calling me to respond to the need. He showed me His heart for young people and the improvished spiritual state they are in. My heart burnt as He spoke. When I reached the landing outside my door, I prayed to God saying, 'If you call me, I will go. Just tell me what to do."


"Reach into your bag and pull out the Conference file. On it you will see my Commission to you.", I sensed Him say.


Curious, I reached in and pulled out my file and my eyes immediately fell upon a verse that was printed there:

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit — 'fruit that will last." John 15:16


There and then, I felt the Holy Spirit call me into ministry and tasked me specifically to build for Him, not just a youth ministry but a LASTING youth ministry. Not the kind that come up big and strong and fizzle after a while, but a ministry that would impact young people and continue to do so from generation to generation.


That has been my goal ever since. It has never been my intention to build the biggest or the hippest youth ministry in town. Instead, it has always been my heart’s desire to build one that can pass the test of time and grow increasingly in impact through the years. This is what drives me to get into the trenches of youth ministry, read countless books, observe successful youth ministries internationally, push on despite the odds, attend conferences and recently, study Pastoral Leadership at the International Hillsong Leadership College in Sydney, Australia. I was finding and studying ways to make Youth Ministry bear lasting fruit.







Amplify Ministry

I felt my call 11 years ago and things have not changed. Today, I serve as Coordinator of the CSC-based Amplify Ministry. Along with my dedicated team of Leaders, we purpose to lay the foundations for a lasting and impactful ministry to meet the spiritual needs of young people and contribute as an positive example for other youth ministries in an increasingly changing world. We want to do whatever we can in the capacity that God has given us to champion youth ministries in Singapore and place value on young people.


This is my heart - A Church for young people.


Leo




No comments: