Tuesday, September 19, 2006


Life is Difficult.


One of the most liberating thing to ever happen to me is to come to the acceptance that 'Life is Difficult.'

M. Scott Peck, the author of the best selling book "The Road Less Travelled" (which I highly recommend) opens by stating this poignant and seemly 'duh!' observation. As a young person reading it about 8 or 9 years ago, it changed me profoundly on the inside. It made me realised that I was not coming into a perfect world where the lambs and the antelope play, Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, the skies are sunny all day with Fairy Godmothers waving magic wands waiting in every corner.

You get the picture.

The reason why its so liberating, is that it made me stop making being happy the goal of my life. I figure with this truism, trying to be happy is like trying to light a match while swimming to stay afloat in the open sea. I expected my life to BE difficult. I no longer expected the world to make me happy or that things and people should always go my way. I don't expect my life to be trouble-free, that my emotions will always be kept in check, that I will always understand how I feel or how the world works, that I will never get into a fight with my girlfriend, that everyone will always like me and that I will always be in great health. To do so, I learnt, is what Scott Peck calls 'Immaturity.'

How true.


These thoughts fill my mind as I was reflecting on a passage this morning while having my usual Kopi and two half-boiled eggs. I was reflecting on John 16:33. Apparently, Scott Peck wasn't the first one to point out that 'Life is Difficult.' Jesus, in his final talk with his disciples said this,

"In this world you will have trouble."

I must say, coming from the Creator Himself, it kinda carrys a little more weigh than Scott Peck. But have no allusions about it - Jesus knows what He is talking about. I started flipping through the gospels because I thought it will be interesting to find out what made Jesus came to this conclusion. So I wrote down all the troubles He faced in the gospels.

This is the list I made.

(you might want to read it to David Powler's "I had a Bad Day", kinda adds a kick to it")


Jesus Troubles
Dodgey Birth
Temptation
Betrayal
Sickness
Possessions
Kicked out of church and nearly off a cliff
Racism
Poverty
Almost Stoned
Homelessness
Bad Weather
Bad Hair Day (C'mon, everyone has it..)
Debasement
Prejudice
Perjury
Emotional Turmoil
Death Row (this one's a killer)
Depression
Stress
Pain
Whips
Discouragment
Nakedness
Failure in Ministry
Shame
Mockey
Spit on
Forgotten by His own parents (when He was 12 years old, that was a real esteem builder..)
Death of his father
Death of friends and cousins
Disowned
Doing something good and getting a rap for it
Backstabbed
Called names
Undue Pressure
Expectations of others
"Friends"
Unwanted Media Attention
Heartbroken
Interrupted Sleep (see bad weather: storm)
Bad Rep
Misrepresentation
Misquoted
Misunderstood (Pope's not the 1st one, following in his Boss' footsteps)
Abused
Gossiped
Thirst
Embezzled from (Judas)
Hated
Scorned
Murder (another show-stopper)
Desertion
Physical Exhaustion
Disappointment
Disciples slept while he wept
Scourged
Nailed to wood
and facing satan himself


When you realised the kind of stuff the Son of God went through, 'in the world you will have troubles' sounds like a gross understatement doesn't it? But before you accuse Jesus of being fatalistic or nihilistic, let's look at the whole passage in context -


"I have told you these things
so that in Me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble.
But take Heart!
I have overcome the world!"
John 16:33


Jesus was speaking to his disciples about His impending suffering and death. He told them quite plainly what He was about to go through and why He was going through it. And That, made all the difference in the world. Essentially He was telling us:

"Guys, there is purpose to why this is happening. I'm telling you now so that when crunch time comes, you can relax knowing that all is going as planned. Sure, its going to hurt and there will be moments where you will get a bit confused and when you do - remember what I said. If I did it. If I beat everything the world could throw at me, so can you, because I live in you."

And that is what He did. See the list I made above? Jesus went through everything and guess what? He beat the odds when no one though He could, He faced everything the world could throw at Him and came out the winner. And guess what, so can we.


Riddle:
Why would a man lie on his back and allow someone else to cut him with a knife?

Answer:
Surgery . So he can get better.


"For the Joy that was set before Him, He endured the Cross." Purpose can overcome anything.


You know, one of the most liberating thing in the world to me is to accept the fact that 'Life is difficult'. The MOST liberating thing in the world is to realise 'Life has a Purpose'. That God allows stuff to happen to us so that He can help us overcome it. A Conqueror is not someone who sits at home in a peaceful nation. A Conqueror is someone who goes out, fights battles and win them. And God tells us we are 'More Than Conquerors'.

Jesus calls us not to a life of comfort, safety, security or even happiness but to one of Obedience and Purpose. When I get over the fact that Life is going to be difficult, I can start to make my Life meaningful and see all the circumstances the world throws at me as opportunities where Jesus can proof His faithfullness and together, I emerge more than a Conqueror. Only then, like Jesus, can I help others conquer their difficulties as well and live a life of victory.

Pierre Corneille says this.. "To win without risk is to triumph without glory."

So this is what I say:


Cruel World...



Bring it on.



Leo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very enlightening entry. :)

Anonymous said...

Indeed it is the most liberating thing ever to stop making being happy or feeling good the goal of your life! Alooot less tiring tooo.. whew.. GOd is so awesome! Keep posting Leonard!